Dash

New Moderator(s) and Improvements

14 posts in this topic

So, I'd like to start this off by saying right off the bat, congratulations to @The-Hydra for becoming our newest mod! He will be helping around the site like most do and I can't wait to see what he can bring to the site with his new powers. Hopefully a partner will join him soon.

We will be promoting a new moderator possibly soon, so stick to this thread if you want to be updated on it.

In other news, it would be best to talk about other issues that are currently at hand. As of the moment we are unable to edit anything outside of the forums as they are run and coded by Johan, which the current admins do not have control over. However, we do want to make the forums as they are to the best point they can be at, so that leaves some questions. What would you guys suggest? The current things that are being possibly considered as of the meantime:

• Possible Sun/Moon subforum, so people can avoid spoilers and the such. Also possibly stops any clutter.
  • Should we try events again, and if so, what kind?
  • What is your least favorite thing about the forum part of the site, and most favorite (as it currently stands)?

I hope you guys can point out what we are missing, and hopefully we can make changes to make the forums the best they can with our current ability.

Plato, Yashu, Poison and 4 others like this

First of all, Congrats to Hydra for becoming our latest forum mod! Something tells me that this was a good choice; I feel like he could become the new Twisty and really get more involved with the community aspects of PS moderation.

When it comes to talking about issues with the forums as of right now, overall I'd say we're sailing rather smoothly. As much as I can currently tell, there are no striking issues with any of the forum sections. The recently added gallery rules are very fair and just, and the recent increase in topic activity is nice to see, considering how few topics were floating around about a week ago. However, one thing that has been rather apparent recently is the drama surrounding status updates. I personally don't want to become a target, so I'm just going to leave it at that. I think all of us pretty much know the whole deal on it anyway.

On a more positive note, let's bring attention to the things Dash mentioned above:

• Possible Sun/Moon subforum, so people can avoid spoilers and the such. Also possibly stops any clutter.
  • Should we try events again, and if so, what kind?
  • What is your least favorite thing about the forum part of the site, and most favorite (as it currently stands)?

In the case of a Sun/Moon subforum, I see no real harm in having one. A lot of the recent topics going about have been in regards to the new games, and having their own subforum would allow more organization for us members and people just passing through. Like Dash also mentioned, it would allow for people who do not want to be spoiled on the game's content to have a safe way to avoid any information altogether.

Events are, in my mind, not our strong suit. In order for any event to succeed, I really do believe we need someone who can really coordinate and oversee everything, ensuring all aspects of the event run smoothly and without muddle. Whether this person is a member of the staff team or not, a proper community leader will have to be established if we want to pull through with a successful event. Smaller events can also be rather enjoyable too though. Little things such as the Alphabet Questions tag that happened in the blogs were a lot of fun and allowed us to learn more about each other. If less serious events that don't require much planning such as those could be implemented, I think the forum could really gain a big activity boost.

With regards to favourites and least favourites, most people who know me well know where I usually stand with my opinions. My least favourite part of the forums are the forum games. While this may be an unpopular opinion, I feel they just set up the type of posting that isn't beneficial for either members or guests. Really, if you were a guest just passing through and you saw the kind of things going on in the "most active section" of the forums, you'd probably immediately leave to go do better things than read through the countless pages of "last poster wins". The sloppiness of posts there can also spill into other sections, although this has not been too apparent yet.

And of course, this leaves my favourite section of the forums, being the rp board. It's a shame that the rp board is inactive right now, but there's not much we can do about it. I've currently got a couple rps in the works as of right now, but it's a little demoralizing to see such little activity from the section. It makes me wonder whether it's even worth my time to post new rps, and whether or not people will even join them at that. That, and I'm trash at managing rps, which is a little annoying seeing as I seem to be the only one posting them. I'm just complaining at this point though.

I also have one more small suggestion. I'm not currently aware if we still have one and if it is actively maintained, but a topic listing our current staff would be nice to have, especially considering all the additions and changes that have been happening within the team recently.

All in all, I don't really have much to actually suggest as of right now, save for my input in regards to events, and my small suggestion above. Thanks for reading, and hopefully this will be of some use to the staff moving forward.

Poison likes this

Firstly, I would also like to congratulate the newest addition to the Moderation Team, Hydra! I would like to commend Dash and the others for making a great choice upon Hydra's promotion. He's dependable, makes affirmative and quality topics, logs on consistently, is involved in the community, and is all-around friendly.

CSMFnzM.png

There are a few notable features of Pokestadium that help members keep the remaining amount of members here and may even attract a few new members every once in a while. (I won't be mentioning large things such as the Pokecreator.)

• Blogs

I understand that blogs may take away from the topics and subforms themselves, but I feel like blogs are a great feature for topics that aren't wholesome enough. Things such as nuzlockes, art dumps, tags, and rants are all great to be paired with the blog system and have great potential for activity as a whole.

• The Gallery

The Gallery is a wonderful new feature that has quite a bit of activity currently. It allows users to post a doodle, unfinished sketch, or an art piece for feedback, whereas posting a single art piece (which may not even be finished) in a blog entry or topic would be pointless. I think the feature is a pleasant aspect of the site to browse through.

• The Sprite Searcher

I know I said that I won't be alluding to large things, but this feature is simply too amazing to pass up! Being a spriter myself, the Sprite Searcher has been absolutely vital for me. It can be extremely inconvenient to search for Pokemon sprites on Google, especially if you need variety. Sometimes I like to sprite with my old Windows computer, which has Microsoft Paint and isn't capable of processing the "checkered transparency." Most of Google's Pokemon sprites are indeed, transparent. Having the "white" switch resolves this problem and makes life a whole lot easier. Not only that, the Sprite Searcher offers sprites from every single game, which means you have a wide range of variety. A few old sprite tutorials on Youtube or DeviantART even involve using Pokestadium's sprite searcher! This being said, The Sprite Searcher is one of the most vital resources on the site and will hopefully be updated with Sun and Moon.

NRMQApW.png

With all the good, comes bad. For starters, there aren't as many quality topics as there were a few months ago. I feel like moderators and administrators should also post topics to show the newer members what to aspire to and what a good topic is like. It will also get some new discussion up and running. I would also point out topic approval speed and the amount of spam, but as far as I'm concerned, this is all being taken care of. With Hydra being promoted, it will wipe clean many issues. The only thing I would prefer to see is more interaction between admins/mods and members, which brings me to my next point.

i31niy2.png

Before Pokestadium shutdown, I enjoyed one aspect of the forums in particular; contests. Spriting and drawing contests always made me do my best. You have your eyes on the prize and if you didn't make it, you had something to aspire to. Some contests even offered judging and critiques on your piece, which seemed very cool to me. They tell you what you need to improve on, and you can learn from your mistakes! If you made the cut and came out on top, you were flattered and grateful that you succeeded on something you worked very hard for. Presently, there are a few contests, but some may have odd rules and such. One common thing that I notice on most contests is that instead of participating and wanting to place first, there is a huge list of people wanting to be judges. The person usually accepts everyone, but there's no one left to participate in the contest. With staff-hosted contests, the panel would strictly have three or four people at the max, leaving room for many members to actually enter the contest. This would also help interact with the members, as well as bring in something new. I would also love to see events, such as the Spook-a-Thon return for every new year.

UyWAneN.png

One main drawback is the lack of new content, whether it be features or topics. As I stated before, I would like to see a moderator or administrator post topics every once in a while to boost some activity for that week. Regarding features, I know the mod and admin team can't do much without Johan, but new features are essential to be added. With the same forum, it's going to get boring after a certain period of time. I know that admins can play around with certain aspects of the site and I encourage them to do so. Adding themes and the gallery are huge add-ons and really make a change. If they can find anything more that could be similar to that, or even simply host contests or events, it would be a total game changer. To start, I think adding a Sun and Moon subforum could be beneficial. It has a lot of discussion surrounding it, which could be potential topic ideas.

To sum things up, the staff team is doing great about advancing forward and I hope to see more things in the future.

~Yashu

9 hours ago, CP_ said:

I'm not currently aware if we still have one and if it is actively maintained, but a topic listing our current staff would be nice to have,

The staff team list can be found here.

isagonj likes this

Please give a warm welcome to our second new moderator @isagonj! She'll be rounding out our moderating team, so between her and Hydra, Joker will finally have some company. (Note for the mods, you should all have Pokecreation powers now. I'm not sure why we didn't give those to you earlier, but you have them now. Just check to make sure everything's working fine cause we were having some issues with them earlier.)

Captain Wayne and Brighty like this

Wow!

Hydra is one of the best mods I’ve ever seen. I would like to be a Mod, but I have a better chance of making a sprite with SuperSonicGX(Shameless Plug for SSGX, he’s amazing) then being a Mod. I can dream, though. The worst part of the forums to me has to be not automatically following a forum when you respond to it. That is one of the VERY FEW things that Pokecharms got right. I hate that website with a passion... So, when you post, you should be asked to follow the forum you posted on.

You dont become a Mod simply because you 'want' to become a Mod, you have to want the site to succeed and you must want, and be able to keep, the site maintained and a happy place to be

And more importantly, the staff needs to believe you're able to keep the site maintained and want it to succeed.