9 posts in this topic

If you know me, you know I'm not the biggest fan of the 6v6 singles/OU format of Pokemon. I much prefer VGC, Battle spot, or doubles formats for a wide variety of reasons. It seems people sometimes also get turned off from competitive Pokemon as a whole because the battling style that matches the game is plagued with so many issues. So, why not make it better?  Presenting...

lucario.gifSTADIUM MONSlucario.gif

(open to not bad names)

The idea behind Stadium Mons is to allow a format where the large swaths of less viable Pokemon are carefully buffed, thus providing a meta where it's easier to use Pokemon you like as opposed to what's currently best or close for roles A B and C. Of course, there's still some inequality, but drastically less than you'd find in the standard 6v6 format. Some Mega/Event ubers Pokemon also have restrictions place upon them, making them less broken and thus legal for use in this format. 

You can find the full rules/master buff list for Stadium Mons here: https://pastebin.com/9PmvK44p

Please do play around with the format in custom game, feel free to set up battles and whatnot here or on the discord. (Random deserted server ideal for use)

As for this thread, it can be used to give thoughts on the format, share replays/sample teams, make suggestions regarding potential buffs,  express concerns with existing buffs/nerfs (being lackluster or too good) and ask any other questions you might have.

Sample Teams:

Merciless:

Spoiler

Spidey (Ariados) (M) @ Focus Sash  
Ability: Prankster  
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD  
Adamant Nature  
- Toxic Spikes  
- Sticky Web  
- Megahorn  
- Skill Swap  

Bitey (Seviper) @ Life Orb  
Ability: Merciless  
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe  
Jolly Nature  
- Dragon Dance  
- Poison Jab  
- Earthquake  
- Extreme Speed  

Stingy (Tentacruel) @ Waterium Z  
Ability: Merciless  
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe  
Timid Nature  
IVs: 0 Atk  
- Surf  
- Sludge Bomb  
- Toxic Spikes  / Giga Drain
- Rapid Spin / Ice Beam

Duggy (Dugtrio) @ Focus Sash  
Ability: Arena Trap  
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe  
Jolly Nature  
- Earthquake  
- Stone Edge  
- Sucker Punch  
- Screech  

Scratchy (Weavile) @ Life Orb  
Ability: Unnerve  
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe  
Jolly Nature  
- Icicle Crash  
- Ice Shard  
- Knock Off  
- Pursuit  

Blimpo (Drifblim) @ Leftovers  
Ability: Aftermath  
EVs: 252 HP / 28 Def / 228 SpD  
Bold Nature  
- Roost  
- Hex  
- Air Slash  
- Will-O-Wisp  

ariados.pngAriados is used to set up Toxic Spikes, as it will very frequently get up both layers and potentially Sticky Web due to Focus Sash and its Prankster ability. Megahorn is for damage, Skill Swap helps to deal with Magic Bounce users.

seviper.pngSeviper is the most powerful Pokemon with Merciless, so it's a logical choice. Dragon Dance for setup, Life Orb STAB Poison Jab hits very hard, Earthquake is good coverage for poison-immune Steel and Poison types, and Extreme Speed helps with lacking speed. A special set is also a solid option, but does lose Dragon Dance and sometimes crucial power on Extreme Speed.

tentacruel.pngTentacruel chosen for its access to Merciless, solid speed stat and Water coverage. Rapid Spin removes Spikes for the sash users of the team, Toxic Spikes in case Ariados missed a layer, Sludge Bomb is good STAB, Surf or its Z-Move are great for Ground types or poison resistant Pokemon. Ice Beam or Giga Drain can also be considered in place of Toxic Spikes or Rapid Spin for more coverage.

dugtrio.pngDugtrio is vital for trapping and removing grounded Poison-types and to a lesser extent Steel-Types, the former removing Toxic Spikes simply by being called out into battle and are thus are quite an issue for this team. Earthquake hits the mons it'll often trap for SE damage, Stone Edge for Flying types, Sucker Punch as last-ditch priority, and Screech for bulky  recovering walls like Chansey.

weavile.pngWeavile is helpful for being a fast and powerful sweeper that can pick off Pokemon weakened from Poison late in the game. It also has STAB Ice coverage for hitting Flying types that won't be poisoned, and Pursuit/Knock Off for menacing the Ghost and Psychic types this team struggles with somewhat.

drifblim.pngDrifblim is a bit of a niche choice that could be replaced, but does a few things that the team appreciates while only being one Pokemon. a Ground immunity is helpful for two ground weaknesses, and it can block Rapid Spins from removing Toxic Spikes. Roost gives it durability, Will-o-Wisp burns non-poisoned Pokemon, Air Slash is solid STAB and can gain Flinches with chip damage from status, and Hex hits burned or poisoned Pokemon pretty well.

Alternate options: A Corrosion Pokemon would be a solid addition due to their ability to spread Poison to most every Pokemon, however it's not entirely recommended as you either must add yet another Poison type or lose out on a Merciless sweeper/toxic spikes setter. Something that can deal with Ground types more consistently than Drifblim, like Celesteela or Gliscor, would also be a good add, but you do lose out on spinblocking.

Stall:

Spoiler

Ignorance (Blissey) @ Shed Shell/Leftovers  
Ability: Oblivious  
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD  
Bold Nature  
- Wish  
- Heal Bell  
- Protect  
- Flamethrower / Ice Beam / Seismic Toss  

Hopkins (Sableye) @ Sablenite  
Ability: Prankster  
EVs: 248 HP / 116 Def / 144 SpD  
Careful Nature  
- Fake Out  
- Knock Off  
- Will-O-Wisp  
- Recover  

Tactical Cuke (Pyukumuku) @ Leftovers  
Ability: Unaware  
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD  
Bold Nature  
- Soak  
- Toxic  
- Recover  
- Light Screen  

Scratch (Skarmory) @ Rocky Helmet  
Ability: Sturdy  
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe  
Impish Nature  
- Brave Bird  
- Spikes  
- Roost  
- Whirlwind  

Grounder (Nidoqueen) @ Life Orb  
Ability: Sheer Force  
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD  
Modest Nature  
- Milk Drink  
- Sludge Wave  
- Earth Power  
- Toxic Spikes  

Purple Haze (Spiritomb) @ Ghostium Z  
Ability: Shadow Tag  
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA  
Bold Nature  
- Calm Mind  
- Shadow Ball  
- Rest  
- Sleep Talk  

blissey.pngBlissey or Chansey are typically the go-to for any stall team. In this case, Blissey is chosen, as although it doesn't quite have Chansey's eviolite-boosted bulk, it does have immunity to Taunt with Oblivious, and can escape numerous problematic trapping Pokemon (Hariyama, Spiritomb, Gothitelle) while holding Shed Shell. Its duties are simple- wall special Pokemon, keep the team healthy. Whatever damaging move you choose will depend on what you find the team needs.

sableye.pngSableye's mega is crucial for most stall teams, and this one is no different. Good mixed bulk, reliable recovery, access to the crippling Will-O-Wisp and Knock Off, and of course the ability to bounce back status and hazards for the rest of the team is immensely useful. Fake Out is used so Magic Bounce can be set up right away, as it's crucial to deflect problematic moves throughout a match.

Bpc6uIO.png Pyukumuku is very helpful for the many new viable setup sweepers. Unaware prevents it from getting decimated, Recover lets it stay alive, Soak weakens the opponent's STAB attacks, and also makes sure most everything can be hit by Toxic. Light Screen makes up for Pyukumuku's primarily physical defensive investment. Pyukumuku can't stop the rare poison-immune Pokemon like Gliscor or anything running Rest, but can still weaken these Pokemon with Soak and Light Screen so they can be forced out by Skarmory.

skarmory.pngSkarmory is the physical wall for this team. Rocky Helmet punishes physical attackers further, Whirlwind negates setup to an extent, Roost gives Recovery, Spikes weaken the opposing team, and Brave Bird can wear down/finish off the foe. More specially defensive investment is an option, but might not be necessary with Blissey and the mixed walls on the team.

nidoqueen.pngNidoqueen might seem like an odd choice, and it sort of is- however, it contributes quite a few things to the team. Toxic Spikes of your own are great for wearing down the foe, and Nidoqueen's being called out instantly removes them should the opponent have gotten past Sableye. It can also take out most fairies that threaten Sableye and Spiritomb with ease. Earth Power and Sludge Bomb give Nidoqueen and the team some bite, and Milk Drink lets it stay healthy. 

spiritomb.pngSpiritomb is an easy fix to something this team hates dealing with, which is opposing Mega Sableye and other Magic Bounce users. By trapping these Pokemon, it can take advantage of their usual passiveness to set up Calm Mind, using Rest to recover and Sleep Talk to take advantage of sleep, with Shadow Ball being used as STAB. Ghostium is used to give Spiritomb a hard-hitting attack when necessary, and prevent it from being messed up by Trick or Knock Off.

Alternate options: Stall is inherently an anti-meta playstyle, and Stadium Mons is far from a well-formed meta at this point, so it's a bit tricky to know which Pokemon selections for the team are ideal. Nidoqueen is definitely replaceable if you don't value Toxic Spikes. Clefable might also be a good addition as a more specially defensive Unaware user, and can take some of the weight off Blissey with its own Heal bell/Wish allowing Blissey to run more interesting moves.

Sciz, Cookabeara and Kekleon like this

Pretty sure this is my first non-⚠post in a while.

Here's a replay http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/future-gen7customgame-233

Also some quick thoughts on certain Pokemon

Former Ubers:

darkrai.png Darkrai is crazy good even without any boosting moves or reliable sleep inflicting moves. However, basically any good Mach Punch user can do a significant amount of damage to it. Hariyama in particular is a god and can trap Darkrai, and is able to 2HKO with Mach Punch, and almost always OHKO with Drain Punch. Would probably be broken if Hariyama didn't exist and if Mach Punch wasn't on almost every relevant fighting type.

salamence.png The replay above might not have showed it, but I think Mega Salamence is pretty great despite the heavy nerfs. Its stats are still crazy good, and Aerilate Body Slam and Trash hit hard. Miltank is a great partner for Megamence, passing Attack and Defence to help make up for the lack of boosting/loss of moves and to help get Megamence avoid Ice Shard OHKOs without investing EVs into HP or Defence. Benefits from the lack of Stealth Rocks.

shaymin-sky.pngStill fast, still hits hard, but less hax.

Stuff that sucked but is cool now:

hariyama.pngThe thiccest trapper. Arena Trap is great, Mach Punch is great, Drain Punch is great, Hariyama is great.

beartic.pngBeartic hits hard, and is great for dealing with some of the former ubers. Banded Beartic with Ice Shard OHKOs Shaymin-Sky, Landorus, and Mega Salemence. Outside of that, it hits hard and has decent bulk, though it is really slow. Could be crazy good on a Trick Room team.

slaking.pnglol skill swap

malamar.pngPower Trip gives Malamar a 140 BP STAB move after three uses of Superpower. Still dies to bugs though.

sudowoodo.pngHuge Power, Huge Defense, Huge Damage. Has good coverage and would probably wreck stuff on a Trick Room team.

meowstic.pngPsycho Boost Psycho Boost Psycho Boost Psycho Boost Psycho Boost Psycho Boost

charizard.pngCan actually be sent in without losing half of its HP, and can spam Overheat with no stat reductions. 

Stuff that was cool before, and is even cooler now:

786MS.pngexeggutor.pngmesprit.png Everything and their grandma gets priority in this meta. Psychic Terrain stops that. Particularly helpful for preventing Megamence from dying to Ice Shard.

Trick Room - A lot of cool slow guys got buffed, such as Sudowoodo, Rhyperior, Beartic, Hariyama, and Dusclops. 

snorlax.pngDrain Punch me daddy

hydreigon.png Sludge Wave me daddy

braviary.pngCan now spam Superpower FOR FREEDOM and for +1 to Attack and Defense. 

Pokemon that should be banned:

748MS.pngCancer.

The-Hydra likes this

Just a few suggestions for this meta (that I really do kinda want to get into):

ferrothorn.png - Give Spiky Shield

nidoking.png - Give King's Shield possibly Spiky Shield

diggersby.png - (This mon has been completely looked over in the meta :cwacko:) Mach Punch, Arm Thrust (idk i just want my boy to get some loving)

chansey.png - Fur Coat (Cannot hold eviolite with fur coat)

788.png - Some sort of recovery for god sakes i.e. Roost, Recover, Moonlight. Magic Guard as second ability.

I'm sure I can come up with more and I'll add on later. As for now, I'm off!

The-Hydra likes this

I WILL NOW DISCUSS THESE SUGGESTIONS

ferrothorn.png -  Consider it done, makes a lot of sense and although Ferrothorn's already very good not like this pushes it too far or anything.

nidoking.png - Spiky/King's Shield would sort of make sense, but it honestly wouldn't really make use of either so probably won't add them unless more people express a desire for it.

diggersby.png - While Diggersby is already pretty good thanks to Huge Power being dumb, I do understand it has a lot more competition as a dumb Huge Power haver now. Kind of hard to buff though, considering it already has most everything it could need (good setup options, priority, coverage.) So, I'll give it Explosion. Seems like something that can't be regrettable.

chansey.png- lol why

788.png - Very well, your wish is granted. Quite literally, as I'm giving it Wish! Pretty clever, huh? I like to think so.

I WILL NOW DISCUSS YOUR DECISIONS:

ferrothorn.png - Nice, nice.

nidoking.png - I mean I would totally make use of a King's Shield Nidoking but alright. 

diggersby.png - Holy dang. STAB Huge Power Explosion? Consider it on every team I ever make in this format.

chansey.png - lol i needed to say it

788.png - LAME. Why can't this tapu just get it's loving. Also no Magic Guard I'm guessing?

I WILL NOW DISCUSS YOUR DECISIONS ON THE DECISIONS ON THE SUGGESTIONS

well actually I won't

But yeah no magic guard for Fini as it's pretty fine with Terrain, I'd say (unless you really want me to give it rest.) Personally, I'd say wish is a pretty good get for it, but yeah I didn't want to go full Recover or Moonlight because that honestly feels like a bit much for something already so versatile, bulky, and immune to common methods of dealing with walls.

OhJay likes this