AlexFuses

Top 10 Pokemon Typing's That Make No Sense

28 posts in this topic

Before we start, i said i was going to quit making Top 10's (even though i didn't do much), because it's just wasting my time and what i normally do is make fusions, but i think it's really fun to do so[pause in speech]

10.Lapras

Lapras is based off the Loch Ness Monster, which is basically a dragon.It's typing should be WATER/DRAGON-Water since it's a sea monster and Dragon because as i said the Loch Ness Monster is a sea dragon-thing.

9.Solgaleo

Finally, a fire type!Wait what?It's not a fire type??What is it then?Psyschic and Steel?What does Solgaleo have to do ANYTHING with with that typing?It's the sun Pokémon!Based on the sun and not a fire type!

8.Samurott

Samurai Pokémon, right?Water/fighting?Nope, pure water type.

7.Jirachi

Fairy type?Nope.Steel type?Yep.

Now, tell me.What does a wish maker have ANYTHING to do with steel?Nothing?What about Fairy?It makes sooo much more sense.

6.Celebi

Here we go, another Pokemon that needed the fairy type.I understood the grass type, but since it's based of a Fairy, why is it Psyschic?Welp, should of been updated at the 7th Generation.

5.Psyduck & Golduck

I know why it's not a psyschic type (in generation 1, Psyschic we're too OP), but why?Should of been buffed with a WATER/PSYSCHIC.

4.Noctowl

Learns alot of psyschic moves and yet, it's a Normal/Flying.

3.Lucario

What makes it a steel type exactly?It uses aura so it makes sense it's fighting.But what's with steel?

2.Mega Gyarados

You might be like 'idiot,it's water/flying just like normal Gyarados' and others might be like 'Gyarados is water/dragon, so why is m.Gyarados on this list?' Well first of all, it's Water/Dark

1.Primal Kyogre

Rayquaza=Dragon/Flying

Primal Groudon=Ground/Fire

Primal Kyogre=Water

Yeah,just water..Like,why?It could be because:

Water>Ground/Fire x4

Ice>Ground x2

Ice>Dragon Flying x4

But this still makes NO sense that Kyogre doesn't gain a 2nd typing while Primal Evolving or even it's normal.

Almost everywhere i typed PSYSCHIC instead of PSYCHIC *facepalm*.

Edited by AlexFuses

10:lugia.gifLugia. God of the sea isn't Water-type.

9:granbull.gifGranbull. WHY IS THIS FAIRY? Remove the Fairy or at least make it Fairy/DARK.

8:gastly.gifGastly line. Ghost type is pretty obvious, but what's with the Poison?

7:Solgaleo SMSolgaleo. Until you said it wasn't, I always thought it was Fire-type.

6:chansey.gifChansey line. These aren't Fairy-type? Not even BLISSEY?!

5:bonsly.gifsudowoodo.gifBonsly and Sudowoodo. Ah, don't you wish there was a Wood-type? 

4:darkrai.gifDarkrai. Darkrai ISN'T Ghost-Type? WHAT?

3:goomy.gifGoomy line. I've always thought Goomy and Sligoo were Poison, and Goodra was Poison-Dragon. Nope. Everyone's pure Dragon.

2:smoochum.gifjynx.gifSmoochum and Jynx. It's obvious they are Psychic, but why ICE?

1:gyarados.gifGyarados. My god, why is this thing Flying-type. It can learn ONE Flying-type move, Bounce, which is technically just jumping.

Honorable Mentions: Doduo, Dodrio, Jirachi, Bonsly, Sudowoodo, Delibird.

OOPS, didn't realize I put Bonsly and Sudowoodo on the list AND the honorable mentions.

@Julie

I'm not correcting you.But heres why Sudowoodo shouldn't be tree type if it was added.I think Sudo means fake, so that makes sense.Anyways Gyarados is pretty much a flying type because back in generation 1 there was only 1 dragon move;Dragon Rage, which makes Gyarados completely useless.Good list btw.

Edit:

Lugia is probably a psychic type because Ho-Oh is fire so it won't be Lugia > Ho-Oh.

Another edit:

Gastly is Poison because it's the GAS Pokémon.

I'm sorry for correcting you, but i'm just saying it out clearly.Sorry again.

Edited by AlexFuses

Gonna do 1. Cant be bothered to put in effort LOL

I really dont understand Solgaleos type. I understand the Psychic Part, but Steel. Why? Its the God of the Sun for goodness sake, wouldn't it make sense to make it Fire? Iirc I did a status update on this a while ago, but still. I just dont see the point, Fire would fit so much better

2 hours ago, AlexFuses said:

Before we start, i said i was going to quit making Top 10's (even though i didn't do much), because it's just wasting my time and what i normally do is make fusions, but i think it's really fun to do so[pause in speech]

10.Lapras

Lapras is based off the Loch Ness Monster, which is basically a dragon.It's typing should be WATER/DRAGON-Water since it's a sea monster and Dragon because as i said the Loch Ness Monster is a sea dragon-thing.

9.Solgaleo

Finally, a fire type!Wait what?It's not a fire type??What is it then?Psyschic and Steel?What does Solgaleo have to do ANYTHING with with that typing?It's the sun Pokémon!Based on the sun and not a fire type!

8.Samurott

Samurai Pokémon, right?Water/fighting?Nope, pure water type.

7.Jirachi

Fairy type?Nope.Steel type?Yep.

Now, tell me.What does a wish maker have ANYTHING to do with steel?Nothing?What about Fairy?It makes sooo much more sense.

6.Celebi

Here we go, another Pokemon that needed the fairy type.I understood the grass type, but since it's based of a Fairy, why is it Psyschic?Welp, should of been updated at the 7th Generation.

5.Psyduck & Golduck

I know why it's not a psyschic type (in generation 1, Psyschic we're too OP), but why?Should of been buffed with a WATER/PSYSCHIC.

4.Noctowl

Learns alot of psyschic moves and yet, it's a Normal/Flying.

3.Lucario

What makes it a steel type exactly?It uses aura so it makes sense it's fighting.But what's with steel?

2.Mega Gyarados

You might be like 'idiot,it's water/flying just like normal Gyarados' and others might be like 'Gyarados is water/dragon, so why is m.Gyarados on this list?' Well first of all, it's Water/Dark

1.Primal Kyogre

Rayquaza=Dragon/Flying

Primal Kyogre=Water

Water>Ground/Fire x4

Ice>Ground x2

Ice>Dragon Flying x4

But this still makes NO sense that Kyogre doesn't gain a 2nd typing while Primal Evolving or even it's normal.

Almost everywhere i typed PSYSCHIC instead of PSYCHIC *facepalm*.

Dude, Groudon doesn't gain Fire type with Primal Reversion.

Im just gonna do 1 too.

Togedemaru.

I haven't played SuMo yet, so correct me if im wrong.

I just don't understand the typing behind it. It's just another pikachu copy, i get that, but it's typing is so off-putting. It feels like the only made it that to make it fit the standards of being a copy.

@AlexFuses, actually, Gyarados wasn't made :Water:/:Dragon: in gen 1 because it would likely have been too overpowered- considering there's no actual damaging Dragon-type move in generation 1 (just dragon rage which you mentioned, and it always deals 40 HP) a Water/Dragon type would've had no weaknesses, which would've been rather overwhelming considering Gyarados' already great stats and how relatively easy it is to get in the games.

As for a typing that makes no sense to me, it'd have to be, uh, you know, almost all Normal/Flying types. All the justifications for why this needs to be a thing are really weak, with the most common being "pure flying would only make sense if they were beings of pure wind or something." That's like saying all Ground types have to have their bodies be literally/visibly composed of Earth or Sand, which of course they don't because we have things like Sandslash, Marowak, and Mudsdale. Just because they're birds and thus a little more closely tied to real animals doesn't mean they have to be normal, in my opinion. Though I guess I lot of my dislike for Normal/Flying comes from Normal as a type being pretty weird and inconsistent itself.

so yeah make most of the normal/flying birds mono flying please besides maybe like doduo or whatever and a few others I can't remember but honestly how weird this is for only one type to have almost no (just tornadus) monotyped mons and just makes me think GF should've stuck with the Bird type

@The-Hydra

I never said Gyarados was made Water/Dragon.

Nintedo make Gyarados Water/Flying since it has almost no dragon moves (and i think Gyarados learns only 1 Flying move, not even fly).Gyarados is also based off the Chinese Dragon, which makes sense that it's a flying type.

@AlexFuses I didn't say Gyarados was Dragon/Water. Please read statements a bit more carefully before you take down points people aren't making. I was just saying that that a more logical justification for it not being given that typing was that it would have no weaknesses. The argument that "it doesn't get any dragon moves" doesn't really make any sense, since it didn't get any flying moves until later gens either.

It does work somewhat as a Flying type, but hey at the end of they day I think we can all agree that if it was made a generation or two later it undoubtedly would've been Water/Dragon.

1) Florges - Should be Fairy/Grass. Also needs Grassy Terrain as HA <3

2) Comfey - Should also be Fairy/Grass. But maybe that's because it's only holding a flower veil. It's not really its body.

3) Type: Null: Should've been steel as well bc Steel Helmet.

4) Solgaleo - Should've been Psychic/Fire or Steel/Fire. Lunala > Solgaleo

5) Normal Groudon - Should've been fire type as well

6) Dratini and Dragonair - No water type? Why not? 

7) Azurill - This one's not a fairy. It's normal.

8) Celebi - I mean, maybe they were going for the all Psychic mythical Pokemon because Mew, Jirachi, Deoxys, Victini and Meloetta are all Psychic. I mean, excluding Shaymin, Arceus, Diancie, Volcanion and Magearna ofc.

9) Palkia - Should've been Psychic/Dragon imo. I mean, manipulating space is kinda Psychic-y.

10) Landorus Therian - It's a doggo. Doggos do not fly, it cannot be flying. Also since we're in the topic of Lando-T, it needs to be banned from OU. Get it out. @The-Hydra help me out here pls

The-Hydra and Sciz like this

6: Solgaleo - I really don't understand it's Psychic/Steel typing. I mean, it's literally a sun god. Definitely should have been either Fire/Psychic or Fire/Steel

5: Samurott - I really feel like it should have been Water/Fighting instead of pure Water. It is a samurai sea lion after all.

4: Gastly Line - I don't understand the Poison typing they were given. I wish they were just pure Ghost. It makes more sense.

3: Altaria - I do like it's typing, but the Dragon part doesn't make much sense. It looks more like a birb than a dragon.

2: Lurantis - Why the heck isn't it part Bug? It's literally a mantis. Should have been Grass/Bug or Fairy/Bug. Heck, even Grass/Fairy is better and makes more sense than pure Grass.

1: Lycanroc (Midnight) - Needs to be Rock/Dark instead of pure Rock. I mean, it's a freaking werewolf!

10: Golduck - I think golduck should be atleast water/psychic, not just water!

9: Feraligatr - I think Feraligatr's typing should be water/dark since it's a ferocious crocodile-beast!

8: Porygon - Umm[pause in speech]Why is it Normal, and not Electric atleast?

7: Zubat, Golbat, Crobat - Why are they part poison type, I guess since there bats? They should be Dark/Flying.

6: Donphan - It looks like it has metal on its trunk, so why not a Ground/Steel type?

5: Bunnelby - Why is it just Normal type? It digs doesn't it? It should be Normal/Ground like its evolved form.

4: Lugia - Why is it Psychic-type? It should be water/flying!

3: Torkoal - This Pokémon has a rock shell, it should be Rock/Fire, not just Fire!

2: Jirachi - It should be Fairy/Psychic, not Steel/Psychic! Why even is it Steel type?

1: Arceus - This Pokémon is just Normal type, don't you wish there was a light or holy type? That would be a good type for Arceus.

1 hour ago, GlitchedNightmare said:

2: Lurantis - Why the heck isn't it part Bug? It's literally a mantis. Should have been Grass/Bug or Fairy/Bug. Heck, even Grass/Fairy is better and makes more sense than pure Grass.

Lurantis and Fomantis aren't bugs mimicking plants, they're plants mimicking bugs as a kind of reversal on the fact that mantises often evolve to look like plants to get closer to prey

Fomantis' name sounds like "Faux-Mantis", meaning false mantis

Lutantis' name is "Lure-Mantis", so I guess it's a tactic used to lure prey (though the pokedex makes no mention)

Sciz likes this

On 5/17/2017 at 2:03 PM, AlexFuses said:

6.Celebi

Well Celebi can travel through time, so it being psychic makes sense.

@Nisa @GlitchedNightmare @Julie @Legend @AlexFuses all of you wondering about Solgaleo's typing give this video a watch

Spoiler

17 hours ago, Kaotic said:

9: Feraligatr - I think Feraligatr's typing should be water/dark since it's a ferocious crocodile-beast!

What? Feraligatr is an alligator not a crocodile silly. Though water/dark doesn't make sense to me as alligators nor crocodiles don't have much to do with darkness, in my opinion dragon might have worked since dragons are reptilian but pure water is fine.

On 5/17/2017 at 2:26 PM, Julie said:

darkrai.gifDarkrai. Darkrai ISN'T Ghost-Type? WHAT?

Darkrai probably isn't ghost type because it's meant to embody darkness, more so in your dreams, which would explain its flow-ey body and somewhat not physical appearance. It being pure dark makes sense because it represents nightmares. 

10.Lapras

I wouldn't call the loch ness monster a dragon at all, if anything it resembles a dinosaur a lot more. Lapras' ice typing makes sense since the loch ness monster has history in scotland lapras being ice makes sense because scotland has cold weather 

1.Primal Kyogre

Rayquaza=Dragon/Flying

Primal Kyogre=Water

Water>Ground/Fire x4

Ice>Ground x2

Ice>Dragon Flying x4

What other type would kyogre get though? It being pure water is fine.

17 hours ago, Kaotic said:

3: Torkoal - This Pokémon has a rock shell, it should be Rock/Fire, not just Fire!

Who said it's shell was rock ;)

So uh, nitpicking out of the way a type of a pokemon I think doesn't make much sense is for parasect, it being bug/poison would make more sense, seeing as the parasite on it has fully taken over it being poison would make sense since parasites are kinda like poison for the body and mind, and I would assume that parasect could pass on the parasite to other pokemon as well. Another pokemon types I find don't make sense are Morelull and Shiinotic I get fairy to extent but not grass they're mushrooms, and mushrooms aren't plants imo poison would have made some more sense.

@Primal, for Darkrai, I also think it had to do with the amount of ghost types already implemented into gen 4. Lets see, you had Giratina, Mismagius, Drifloon, Drifblim, Spiritomb, and I believe there were others, just can't name off the top of my head. Point is, I think there were already enough ghost types in gen 4. If you made it a dual Dark-Ghost type, at the time, that would be really OP. But yeah, your points make sense too.

Anyways, I'll just name one rn. That will be Nihilego. Now, I understand the Poison type, in reference to jellyfish/parasite like creatures, but what really throws me off is the rock typing. I mean, I understand it stated that Nihilego's body has a similar composition to glass (Sand can be made into glass), but its design just doesn't indicate the Rock typing, at all. I believe it would've been better to leave it as just pure Poison.

29 minutes ago, Primal said:

a type of a pokemon I think doesn't make much sense is for parasect, it being bug/poison would make more sense, seeing as the parasite on it has fully taken over it being poison would make sense since parasites are kinda like poison for the body and mind, and I would assume that parasect could pass on the parasite to other pokemon as well.

The term "parasite" is extremely broad, and only refers to an organism that lives off of another.  In this case the parasite in question is a mushroom living off of Parasect, though I don't see the logic behind the proposed Poison typing.  If a parasite was poisonous it would kill its host, which is rarely their goal.

Additionally, parasites aren't "poison for the body and mind" and quite often have a symbiotic relationship with their host.

Also it is extremely unlikely that the mushrooms can move onto alternate species the way they do to the Paras line, simply because these types of fungi are usually highly specialized and quickly die in any other host or environment.

Though the dex DOES MENTION that the mushrooms are poisonous to ingest, you can only fit so many typing on a mon at once.  :Bug: :Grass: best represents the duo.

29 minutes ago, Primal said:

Another pokemon types I find don't make sense are Morelull and Shiinotic I get fairy to extent but not grass they're mushrooms, and mushrooms aren't plants imo poison would have made some more sense.

there are plenty of non-poisonous mushrooms

and even then, its :Grass: not PLANT, which is more open ended

and there are plenty of grass types that aren't literally made of grass

@Primal

The Dark typing in Japanese means EVIL, and since alligator's are evil (they eat people..?)

Anyways thanks for the Solgaleo part, now i finally know why Solgaleo isn't fire, but steel.

2 hours ago, AlexFuses said:

@Primal

The Dark typing in Japanese means EVIL, and since alligator's are evil (they eat people..?)

Anyways thanks for the Solgaleo part, now i finally know why Solgaleo isn't fire, but steel.

Yeah I know that dark is evil in japanese versions of pokemon, but uh alligators aren't evil, alligators don't even prey on humans they really only attack they get provoked with some exceptions, and in that case wouldn't humans be evil then? Since y'know they kill all these other animals for food?  

Genji likes this